Work Experience at the Aldeburgh Festival
Wednesday 7 – Sunday 25 June 2023
Once again, we are inviting young people (18 – c25 year olds) with a love for music and an interest in a career in the Arts, Music, Heritage or Events Management, to be part of our 2023 Hesse Student Scheme. You will gain first-hand experience of one of the world’s leading classical music festivals, helping behind the scenes, supporting the artistic teams and having an amazing opportunity to attend a wide variety of Festival events.
The scheme offers the chance to help with the day-to-day running of the Festival, meet Britten Pears Arts staff at all levels – including dedicated sessions to enhance your time with us.
The scheme runs from 7 June until Sunday 25 June 2023, and students can attend for one or both weeks.
What do Hesse Students do?
The roles vary widely from year to year depending on the events taking place. You will be at the heart of the Festival, and areas of activity may include (but are not limited to):
- Being a dedicated artist liaison person, ensuring that the high-profile artists who are performing at the Aldeburgh Festival have the best experience possible during their time with us – this includes driving our pool cars, artistic diary management and coordinating visits to our sites
- Work within a museum and archive environment at The Red House, Aldeburgh, the former home of Benjamin Britten and his partner Peter Pears
- Assist with family and school activities
- Help with events: setting up a venue, supporting concert managers, helping backstage and “behind the scenes”
- Using social media to capture behind the scenes moments, eg: as part of a Hesse student takeover day
- Shadowing our technical, stage management and lighting team, supporting them where necessary
- Assisting the Development team at functions/interval receptions/dinners and liaising with catering, event management and looking after guests
- Stewarding and invigilating at events on and off-site such as Festival Walks and exhibitions
- General tasks and admin to support the Performance Programme team in the smooth running of all Festival concerts
- Welcoming artists and guests to Snape and The Red House, providing a great visitor experience
There will be some evening work and you will be expected to work at Snape Maltings, The Red House and other venues whilst you are with us.
Traditionally, during the Festival, our Hesse Students put on a performance of their own, which always attracts an enthusiastic audience.
What we offer you
This is a wonderful opportunity to gain first-hand experience with an internationally renowned arts organisation, and whilst you are with us, we will provide:
- Hands-on experience with a arts and heritage organisation and world-renowned festival
- Reimbursement of your travel expenses to and from Snape Maltings
- Self-catering accommodation in Aldeburgh
- One hot meal per day provided at one of the Snape Maltings catering outlets
- A stipend of £200 / week for expenses
- Careers advice from industry professionals
Hesse Student Scheme 2022
How to apply
To apply, complete an application form and return along with a CV, by 12 noon on Thursday 5 January 2023 to the address shown on the form or to Joe Carr or Olivia Kersey.
First interviews will take place on zoom at the end of January 2023.
For further information or an informal chat please contact:
- Olivia Kersey
- Joe Carr