Volunteering at the Aldeburgh Festival
Wednesday 1 – Sunday 26 June 2022
Once again we are inviting young people (18 – c25 year olds) with a love for music and an interest in a career in the Arts or Events Management, to be part of our 2022 Hesse Student Scheme. You will gain first-hand experience of one of the world’s leading classical music festivals, helping behind the scenes, supporting the artistic teams and having an amazing opportunity to attend a wide variety of Festival events.
The scheme offers the chance to help with the day-to-day running of the Festival, meet Britten Pears Arts staff at all levels – including dedicated sessions set up for the Hesse Students – and learn about the work behind running an internationally renowned arts organisation.
The scheme runs between 1 June until Sunday 26 June 2022, but you are able to to attend for one, two or three weeks depending on your availability.
What do Hesse Students do?
The roles vary widely from year to year depending on the events taking place. You will be at the heart of the Festival, and areas of activity will include (but are not limited to)
- Being a dedicated artist liaison person, ensuring that the high-profile artists who are performing at the Aldeburgh Festival have the best experience possible during their time with us – this includes driving our pool cars, artistic diary management and coordinating visits to our sites
- Event facilitation: setting up a venue together with our stage team, organising riders, supporting concert managers and learning ‘behind the scenes’ skills
- Using social media to show interesting work happening ‘behind the scenes’, e.g. through a Hesse student takeover day
- Shadowing our technical and lighting team, supporting them where necessary
- Supporting the Development team by helping with functions such as interval drinks or supporter dinners, through catering, event management and looking after guests
- Being a steward for car parking on site or at different venues in the region or on Festival walks, runs and / or cycles or in our galleries
- Supporting the Performance Programme team in the daily delivery of all Festival concerts
- Invigilating exhibitions & installations
- Box Office duties
There will be some evening work and our Hesse Students are required to be at Snape Maltings, The Red House or other venues for the duration of their time with us.
At the end of each week, Hesse students traditionally put on a performance of their own at the Pumphouse, Aldeburgh, which always attracts an enthusiastic audience.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for young people between 18 and circa 25 years old with excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work collaboratively within team, a willingness to help with all kinds of tasks no matter how big or small. A good sense of humour and a love of music is essential. You do not need to have a detailed knowledge of music. We would also be delighted if some of this year’s Hesse Students brought a certain level of knowledge: page turning, an understanding of the moving of percussion, social media skills, however these are not essential.
A full UK driving license is also desirable but not essential.
What we offer
This is a volunteering opportunity, and we will provide you with:
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to and from Snape Maltings
- Bed and breakfast accommodation in Aldeburgh
- One hot meal per day provided at one of the Snape Maltings catering outlets
- A stipend of £200 / week
Additionally, we aim to make this a truly useful experience for you and will react to your suggestions and wishes within reason. You will be supervised by two ‘Super Hesses’ - former Hesse Students with previous experience of the scheme and the Festival.
To apply, complete an application form and return along with a CV, by 12 noon on Monday 25 April 2022 to the address shown on the form. First interviews will take place on zoom.
For further information, contact Olivia Kersey, Music Programme Administrator at Britten Pears Arts firstname.lastname@example.org or 01728 687 164.