Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Britten and Pears shared a progressive vision for music and the arts to be useful, helping people enhance and bring joy into their lives. To achieve this vision, equality of access is paramount.
It is our responsibility to take active steps towards better educating ourselves to challenge and dismantle systemic inequalities, internally and externally. Our Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan acknowledges the trauma inflicted by racism, classism, sexism, ableism, ageism, and sexual orientation discrimination across the sector. These are unacceptable and have no place in our society. We recognise that when a person has marginalising experiences, the more disadvantaged they become.
Our organisation aims to be welcoming, open to all and to live our collaborative, empowering, rigorous and pioneering values by being equal, diverse, and inclusive. We acknowledge that diversity enhances talent, and encourages innovation, and that they are vital elements of the creative output of Britten Pears Arts.
While we are making progress in some areas, we continue to strive to learn from those with lived experience and to evaluate and monitor our progress against the objectives set out in our EDI Action Plan.
Britten Pears Arts is committed to equality of access. Our commitments are:
- To be honest and transparent
- To assess and allocate proper resources when required
- To provide mandatory training and resources for staff, volunteers, and trustees to broaden mindsets and extend knowledge
- To involve our communities in open conversation as part of this process, specifically those who have been historically underrepresented at Britten Pears Arts
- To create and update our Equity Action Plan and include details of how we are making change and holding ourselves to account
- To embed the work of our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Working Group across the organization.